Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Book Review: The Giver by Lois Lowry

Jonas' world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war 

or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role 

in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to 

receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the 

memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for 

Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.


I've been wanting to read this book forever. The only problem was that I heard it was a banned book for some of its mature content. I've been debating for a while and eventually I just decided to read it. 

I'm sure glad I did!

I really want to get into more dystopian books and this was a really good one. I loved the innocence of all the characters and how they really do not realize the flaws in their society and how Jonas discovers them.

The plot was a bit vague at times. I wasn't quite sure why they would be doing different things. I did not realize this until I looked back on the book after finishing it. I was just so enthralled by the book, I just wanted to figure out what would happen next. The plot is not exactly resolved which I was perfectly okay with upon finishing the book. I mean, that's what the sequel is for! Wrong. There is no sequel. Gathering Blue is only a companion. That means that I will never get to figure out what happened to Jonas. FJDSKAL;SDFOI JFEWJIOPAOSDIFJ VFIJEA!

The descriptions were really good and I think that is what makes Lois Lowry such a good writer. She really puts you in the world of the characters. And that's another thing. I really like the characters. Honestly, Lily was my favorite even though she wasn't a huge part. She was just so cute and reminded me so much of Lia. Jonas was a well done character, but he didn't really have a huge personality. Jonas' friend, Asher, was cool as well. 

I think the only problem that I had with this book was the ending. It's just that... He needs to... Please... Ugh... I may do a spoiler book discussion on my YouTube channel so that I can rant about this book. I will say, the ending feels more like a drop-off than a conclusion of the plot.

I recommend this to anyone 7th grade and up! I kind of see this as one of the first dystopians along with Animal Farm and I recommend this to any dystopian lover. It's a really quick read that you will think about long after you finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment