Monday, May 19, 2014

Book Review: The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer

Artemis is at boarding school in Ireland when he 
suddenly receives an urgent video e-mail from Russia. In 
it is a plea from his father, who has been kidnapped by 
the Russian Mafiya. As Artemis rushes to his rescue, he is 
stopped by Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon fairy 
police. But this time, instead of battling the fairies, he is 
going to have to join forces with them if he wants to save 
one of the few people in the world he loves. 



I have been putting off starting this book for a long time. I didn't really enjoy the first book (which was featured in the first Throwback Thursday post) and I wasn't excited about starting this one. I read the first one back in 2012 and I didn't know how easy it would be to get into this series again. Last week though, I was in the mood for some fantasy. I felt that that could only be cured by a good dose of Artemis Fowl. I was not disappointed.

This book was so much better than the first book. I loved all the characters (especially Foaly!) and it seemed so fast paced. We really saw Artemis's weaknesses when he was dropped in the arctic without a computer. Butler was awesome as always and I now have a new found love for Root. I don't like Mulch in general. He was so annoying in the first book and wasn't much better in this one. I did, however, enjoy the story of him stealing Oscars. 

I think the biggest problem that I had with the first book was that they were focusing too much on Holly for a book entitled ARTEMIS FOWL! In this book, Holly and Artemis are together which I enjoyed quite a bit. They had a couple of cute moments, especially at the end. 

Opal was a great villain and I really like her. Cudgeon, on the other hand, is just annoying. I mean, why does he even have to be there?! I can't believe Opal put up with him. I can't wait to see what Opal is planning next!

The ending did seem a bit rushed, but that was okay. I was kind of looking for a quick read at the time and this was the perfect book. At the end we are given another sneak peek into Artemis's life at boarding school which is always funny. 

I give this book 5 stars and recommend it to anyone middle school and up!

No comments:

Post a Comment