Saturday, May 17, 2014

Book Review: This Star Won't Go Out by Esther Earl and family

A collection of the journals, fiction, letters, and sketches of the late 

Esther Grace Earl, who passed away in 2010 at the age of 16. 

Photographs and essays by family and friends will help to tell 

Esther’s story along with an introduction by award-winning 

author John Green who dedicated his #1 bestselling novel The Fault 

in Our Stars to her.


Wow. I really don't know what I can say in this review but wow. This is a nonfiction book and I don't read a ton of those. I really enjoy memoir-style books and I loved how this one was just a collection of different things from different places. This included diary entries, blog posts by her and her parents, pictures that she drew, photos, and letters. I loved how so many people added things to this book. Esther and her parents wrote most of it  but Esther's online friends, sisters, brothers, John Green, and many other people contributed as well. 

I loved seeing the impact that Esther had on people. It reminded me so much of a girl I knew named Jenae' McNichols. She was just a beautiful person who made room in her heart for everyone. I went on YouTube and watched some of Esther's videos and she seems like an incredibly sweet person.

Esther was a Christian and that was something that I really liked about this book. If she hadn't been, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this book nearly as much. Instead I would have been crying the entire time because she wasn't in heaven. 

Even though Esther was a Christian, this was not a completely clean book. It was still a whole lot better than most YA novels are today. Esther did recount a time when she got drunk and how she really wants her first kiss. For that last part though, who could blame her? She was dying of cancer! There were a few innuendos here and there and a bit of language, but still a lot cleaner than most books.

The only thing that took away from my enjoyment of this book was that I'm not a John Green fan. I've never read one of his books. Esther was a huge John Green fan and nerd fighters are referenced quite a bit. I really want to read The Fault in Our Stars which John Green dedicated to Esther now! 

Esther was a huge Harry Potter fan as well and that was exciting. I loved hearing her fangirl about leakycon and Wizard Rock bands. I guess that was another thing I loved so much about Esther, she was a fangirl just like me.

All in all, I gave this book 5 stars and recommend it to anyone 12 and up. This is a story you won't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment