Thursday, August 28, 2014

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a 

few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final 

chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist 

named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support 

Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.


I usually don't read popular books. 

I just don't. 

I never understand why, but there is just something holding me back every time I want to pick up a hyped up book. 

I have read a couple more recently (We Were Liars and If I Stay), but that was after the hype had died down. 

I had heard so much about this book that it was strange actually reading it. I expected that I was going to love this book, just like everyone else I know. Everyone was always talking about how they cried so hard in the book and movie and how it was their favorite book ever. I was sure to like it! 

Wrong.

I seriously don't think I have ever read a more overhyped book in my life. 

I don't really mind romance in books and sometimes it almost adds to the book. However, when there is romance in books, I want there to be some decent action that overpowers the romantic aspects in the book. I want the romance to take a back seat when it comes to the adventure. The Fault in Our Stars did have some decent romance, but I wasn't a huge fan of it. The action was practically nonexistent. I know that this wasn't supposed to be an action/adventure type book, but something exciting other than the romance needed to happen. The cancer sections were the most interesting parts of the entire book! 

I found John Green's writing style addicting. However, I still didn't find that it was as good as everyone said it was. I did like how he wrote his characters with flaws and quirks, but I wasn't that attached to Hazel. Augustus was okay, but Isaac was the coolest one. The whole scene where he was throwing eggs at the car was really good! 

The sad thing was that I really wanted to be attached to these characters and I wanted to cry at the end. I was spoiled for the ending, but I thought I would still be sad at the end (kind of like If I Stay and We Were Liars). I was sad during the eulogy scene. Other than that I didn't really care that much. The whole book didn't have the effect that I wanted it to have on me. 

I ended up giving this book 3 stars and I think that it is appropriate for 14 or 15 and up. 

PS: Even though I didn't enjoy this book, I really did enjoy This Star Won't Go Out which is about the girl who John Green kind of based Hazel on. I highly recommend it. You can see my review for that here.

So long!

Hannah Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment