Monday, January 13, 2014

A Literary Response to On the Illegality of Ice Cream

I had to write a literary response to something for grammar today and I chose one of Lune Lenore Violette's short stories: On the Illegality of Ice Cream. I only had to choose a paragraph, but I recommend that you read the entire story before you read my response to it.

“I thought about the quote I had stuck in my head, the Voltaire on ice cream quote. It would be rather lovely if ice cream was illegal. Illegal things had a way of taunting you, even if by themselves they were hardly appealing at all. Trespassing was illegal. Ordinarily climbing over a fence and walking around old properties and through an abandoned house would be rather boring. But it was illegal. That sent a tickling shiver up your spine. It was worth it, at least for a second.”
Why does something illegal seem so tempting?
This was the question that popped into my head as I read Lune Lenore Violette’s On the Illegality of Ice Cream. This is a complex question that requires a complex answer. 
“Illegal things had a way of taunting you, even if by themselves they were hardly appealing at all.”

We can all admit that this is true. We break a rule simply because it’s a rule. Why is this? Why do we strive in our hearts to be rebellious enough to do what is considered illegal? Is it the intrigue of danger or excitement? Do we enjoy the satisfaction of showing up our authority by demonstrating our ability to break the very statute they have instituted? Whatever the reason, I believe that the answers lie in our motives. Our exact motives? Not even we know at times. Still, I believe that as human beings, we like to test authority. This will be true to the end of this world. So whatever is illegal and whether we decide to pursue it or not, no one can deny that that something is rather inviting.

2 comments:

  1. It was so cool that you would do this! I hope you enjoyed the story. :) Excellent literary response, it was very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like saying: "Don't do that" and what do you do? You do it. We humans are strange like that.

    My driving school teacher was joking around and telling us that teens have a tendency to rebel, and then he jokingly said: "Don't jump off that cliff!" then "Ok, watch me." XD

    ReplyDelete