Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"I Dreamed a Dream…"

When i was younger my dreams for my future were big and improbable. One wish that I had for my future was to be an artist. I didn't really care what kind. I wanted to do it all whether it was a background designer for Disney or an artist who drew whatever people wanted. This was my dream for quite a while. Even if I changed my mind temporarily, it always went back to being an artist. 

What would have happened if I continued in this dream? Would I be successful or unsuccessful? Would I be rich or poor?

Let us fast forward fifteen years from now when I am thirty years old, ready to make my mark on the world.
………………………….

I closed the front door of my apartment behind me. Inside was small but cosy. I took my shoes off and hung up my coat. 

"Tonight has been a successful night," I said to myself. I had just gotten home from my final art show in Chicago. I had had one every Friday night. For five months, I had lived in downtown Chicago painting, sketching, sculpting, and of course, touring.

Still, Friday night was always the climax of my week. I sold a lot of my best work to people from all over. It was sad to think that it was all ending.

In a couple of days I was scheduled to fly out to Orlando, Florida for a private tour of Disney World. After that I was to attend a meeting with Disney's art manager. Over the phone, he told me that he was very interested in me working for Disney as an animation designer. I would be working with them on their upcoming movies. It was an amazing opportunity!

I will, however, dearly miss Chicago. The hustle and bustle, the sights, all the people I had met, and even the frigid air that whipped around the skyscrapers, were all things that I would miss terribly. I was used to it. It was my home. I pondered all of these things carefully as I made myself a mug of hot chocolate. Yes, I was scared, but a little fear wasn't going to stop me from achieving my childhood dreams.

"The scariest moment is just before you start." -Stephen King

I'm sorry that I'm doing another writing post. I'll try to do something a bit better in my next post!

So long! 

-Jade Kanani

1 comment: