Monday, January 20, 2014

The Christmas Experience

Hi, everyone! I am here to talk about my drama play: The Christmas Experience. We were supposed to do it before Christmas but we had too much snow. 

Anyway, It was really unique and fun. 

The play started off with a short skit about a girl trying to tell her weird family about Christmas.


It was pretty funny. I really wish I could have seen their final performance. Unfortunately, I was in the other part of the building trying to keep John the Baptist from being beheaded by Herod the Great. I'll explain that later.

Next was a reading of a made-up back story of Mary and Joseph. I don't actually have a picture of this one.

After that, the audience split up into four groups. They went to each of the four skits and rotated after each one until everyone had seen all of them.

Here they are.


This is the shepherd skit. It was about the shepherds running into town and telling everyone about seeing the star and all the angels.


This is the innkeeper skit. It was about the innkeeper not allowing Mary and Joseph to stay at their house and his wife berating him. That was a really bad description that I gave you, but I couldn't think of a better one. 


I almost forgot, at the beginning of each skit, someone would come up and read something about the characters. After the skit was over, they would come up and ask questions about what had just occurred.


Josiah really was the best possible innkeeper.



Sarah was really good as well. 


And then there was my skit. We don't have a great setup here but we made do. 

I played Elizabeth, Mary's cousin while my friend Devin played Zacharias. 


We did a lot of improv to make it longer and, all in all, had a lot of fun.

I did discover, however, that even fake babies get heavy after holding them for a long time. 

Yes, I am holding baby John the Baptist. 


As for what I told you earlier about John the Baptist and Herod….

We had been having fun with the baby. We said things like "It has Jade's eyes and Devin's mouth!" I went around letting people hold the baby as well. You see, the Herod skit (for which I do not have any pictures of) station was just outside of the room that the John the Baptist station was in. We had to wait back there while the audience was coming and during the beginning skits. We were entertaining ourselves and being ridiculous (it was actually good practice for getting into character). That was when Owen, who was playing Herod, took one of the palace guards' sword and tried to behead the baby. In case you don't know, Herod (a different one) does behead John the Baptist later in his life. It was pretty funny. 


Anyway, after that was the angel skit. It was the whole thing from Gabriel's point of view. It is really funny.


We couldn't have had a better Gabriel than Josh.


Lastly was a responsive reading that was all about us praising God.

So, in the end, it was a great production. It was kind of weird, it being after Christmas and all, but that was okay. 

My mom actually did a video of my skit and I'll have to post it on here soon.

I hope you enjoyed this post.

Coming soon: Winter Jam!

So long!

-Jade Kanani



No comments:

Post a Comment